2 8oz halibut fillets
salt & pepper
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup gluten free panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup finely ground walnuts
1 egg white
1/2 cup walnuts
2 cloves of garlic
2 cups arugula
1/2 - 1 cup basil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Vegenaise or regular mayonnaise
12-15 stalks of asparagus
3-4 tbsp olive oil
4 tsp balsamic vinegar (basically just a quick drizzle over the vegetables)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper
Note: I suggest using a non-stick pan for cooking the fish. It allows you to use less butter, and you don’t have to worry as much about the skin sticking to the pan.
1. Preheat the oven to 400.
2. Pesto: Pulse the walnuts and garlic together until they are coarsely ground. Add the arugula, basil, salt, and pepper. Pulse 8-10 more times until it forms a dry paste. If your food processor has a low setting, put it on low and slowly incorporate all of the olive oil. My food processor does not have a low setting, so I scraped the dry mixture out, and slowly mixed in the olive oil in a regular bowl. Taste and add more salt/pepper to your preference. Set aside.
3. Asparagus: wash the stalks and cut off the woody ends (about 2 inches off). Lay on a cookie sheet and coat with olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and a quick dusting of garlic powder. Toss asparagus in the spice/oil mixture, then bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes.
4. Crust: pulse walnuts until they are finely ground into crumbs. Take the crumbs and mix with the gluten-free breadcrumbs in a pan. Toast the mixture on medium-low until crumbs become fragrant and begin to brown, then transfer to a bowl.
5. Set pan to medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of butter and some salt and pepper to the heating pan.
6. Set the fish out for breading. Brush one side of the fish (non-skin side) with the egg white. Gently press the breadcrumb mixture on top of the egg white, thoroughly coating the top of the fish. Once breaded, transfer the fish to the hot pan, breaded side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium high. Flip fish and cook for another 4 minutes. If you want to check the temperature, halibut is cooked at 145 degrees F.
7. The asparagus should be ready at this point as well. Transfer asparagus and fish to a plate. For a dipping sauce, take about 2-3 tbsp of pesto and mix with the Vegenaise.